What makes us who we are is based on the journey that brought us to where we are today. Our character and emotions is molded from the past and to have it challenged because another thinks it's not suitable only reinforces the idea that you're an unacceptable person. So, to avoid rejection we give into "fitting" in. Trust me, fitting in isn't all it's cracked up to be! It has its price!
In order to "fit" in it pretty much means giving up your own individualism. But like I said; it has its price. After a while emotional turmoil begins to nag at you and if left unchecked an emotional power struggle ensues. And if the struggle isn't resolved, in steps contempt for the one you wanted to fit in with, as well as contempt for the journey that made you who you are.
I know first hand the feelings of unworthiness and not being accepted for who I am ... I can honestly say it sucks! I had no choice but to give up my individualism in order to be acceptable. More often than not, it was unacceptable. Nonetheless, I worked hard at being acceptable in order to be loved. Eventually, it was one of the reason which lead me to attempt suicide. The standard of acceptability was set so high that no matter how I tired to reach it, I simply couldn't ... I failed more often than not. The end results; my spirit died and I entered the mind frame where self-destruction was easier to achieve than to live up to an unattainable level of expectation.
I am who I am. The journey that brought me to where I am today is what made me the individual I’ve become. To think that I must forsake my journey in order to be in someone else’s the way they want me to be is simply an unacceptable expectation to which I cannot live up to. I am an individual and to forsake this is to betray who I am.
All of us are wonderfully and beautifully created. Each of us are given our own journey that is uniquely ours. Yes, there are times when we must adjust our journey in order to be accepted because fitting in is part of our human nature. Within reason, there is nothing wrong with making changes. But adjusting our journey dose not mean the we have to give up who we are in order to be accepted. Being accepted for who you are is the most rewarding experience you'll ever have.
Revised 07/27/10
In order to "fit" in it pretty much means giving up your own individualism. But like I said; it has its price. After a while emotional turmoil begins to nag at you and if left unchecked an emotional power struggle ensues. And if the struggle isn't resolved, in steps contempt for the one you wanted to fit in with, as well as contempt for the journey that made you who you are.
I know first hand the feelings of unworthiness and not being accepted for who I am ... I can honestly say it sucks! I had no choice but to give up my individualism in order to be acceptable. More often than not, it was unacceptable. Nonetheless, I worked hard at being acceptable in order to be loved. Eventually, it was one of the reason which lead me to attempt suicide. The standard of acceptability was set so high that no matter how I tired to reach it, I simply couldn't ... I failed more often than not. The end results; my spirit died and I entered the mind frame where self-destruction was easier to achieve than to live up to an unattainable level of expectation.
I am who I am. The journey that brought me to where I am today is what made me the individual I’ve become. To think that I must forsake my journey in order to be in someone else’s the way they want me to be is simply an unacceptable expectation to which I cannot live up to. I am an individual and to forsake this is to betray who I am.
All of us are wonderfully and beautifully created. Each of us are given our own journey that is uniquely ours. Yes, there are times when we must adjust our journey in order to be accepted because fitting in is part of our human nature. Within reason, there is nothing wrong with making changes. But adjusting our journey dose not mean the we have to give up who we are in order to be accepted. Being accepted for who you are is the most rewarding experience you'll ever have.
Revised 07/27/10
No comments:
Post a Comment